Frequently Asked Questions

Where are you located?

The Data Sciences and Operations Department (DSO) is located on the third floor in Bridge Hall, Suite 308. 

- Hide
How can I get in touch with one of the DSO Professors?

Contact Information for DSO Faculty can be found on the USC Marshall School of Business webpage under "Departments" and by selecting Data Sciences and Operations.

The following is a direct link to the DSO Faculty page: https://www.marshall.usc.edu/departments/data-sciences-and-operations/faculty 

Alternatively, you may also stop by the DSO Main Office, BRI-308, and leave  them a message.

- Hide
Can I take a course and its pre-requisite concurrently or waive the pre-requisite in one semester?

To adequately prepare you for the more advanced electives, you will not be allowed to take a course and its pre-requisite concurrently or waive the pre-requisites for required courses.

However, instructors have made some rare exceptions for some electives of more advanced courses. Should you be willing to work harder and take the course and its pre-requisite concurrently, you need to receive instructor approval.

To receive approval, you must:

  1. Obtain the pre-requisite waiver form from the Undergraduate Advisement Office located in Fertitta Hall, Suite 201 (JFF 201). 
  2. Fill out all necessary information on the form.
  3. Once complete, you can proceed to obtain the instructor’s signature.


Note:​​​ Only the Faculty member teaching the course for which the pre-requisite exists can give you permission to take that course. Also, please keep in mind that the instructor may ask for additional documentation/proof from you to grant your request.

- Hide
Can my instructor drop me from their class if I am already registered?

According to University Policy, the instructor can drop you from your registered class if:

  1. You have not attended the first two scheduled meetings of a class that meets twice per week
  2. If you have not attended the first scheduled class meeting for a class that meets once per week.


Note: If you are unable to attend the first two scheduled class meetings due to extraordinary circumstances, you should contact the instructor and obtain their approval before you decide to no-show to the first few class meetings.

- Hide
How do I know if I qualify to take a Waiver Exam?

Waiver Exams are administered for the following Undergraduate required courses: BUAD-310 and BUAD-311.

Please contact your Undergraduate Advisor to initiate the process. You must obtain approval from the Undergraduate Office, located in BRI 104, to take the Waiver Exam.

Note: You may only take the Waiver Exam for a specific course once.

- Hide
Where is my final exam being held?

The Final Exam for your course will be held in the course classroom unless otherwise specified by your instructor. If your Final Exam is scheduled in a different room, your instructor will notify all students in person or through which ever modes of communication you have been using during the semester (i.e., Email, Blackboard, Zoom).

- Hide
What can I do if I have more than two final exams scheduled on the same day?

Unfortunately, the instructor cannot change the date and time for the Final Exam as these dates and times are assigned and published by the University and not by the instructor. Unless the class unanimously agrees to a change of date and time, you are expected to take your Final Exam as scheduled.

Upon registering for classes, the Final Exam schedule is available to all Students through the USC Schedule of Classes website. Once on the website, you may select the term and on the left-hand side select Final Examination Schedule to view Exam dates and times for the upcoming semester.

If you have two (2) or more Final Exams scheduled on the same day, you may reach out to our University Testing Bureau at (213) 740-7166 for further assistance and guidance.

- Hide
What can I do if I have question about my final course grade?

If you have any questions regarding your final course grade, please reach out to your instructor directly. If you need assistance getting in touch with your instructor regarding grade inquiries, you may contact the DSO Operations Manager, Rebeca Gonzales at rebecag@marshall.usc.edu for assistance.

After careful evaluation should your Professor approve the change of grade, the request will be processed through the DSO Department and submitted for approval by the appropriate entities. Once approval has been received, the  Correction of Grade will be forwarded to the University Grades Department for processing.

Note: If you are not pleased with your course grade following the discussion and grade review with your instructor, and you have a compelling reason to take it to the next level, you may submit an Appel Letter to the Chairman, Professor Greys Sosic (c/o The DSO Operations Manager, Rebeca Gonzalez in Bridge Hall 308). Professor Sosic will review your case and determine the proper course of action.    

- Hide
What can I do if I have a "MG" on my transcript?

"MG" represents a “Missing Grade” for the course.

If you would like to change this "MG" to a Letter Grade, Pass, or Credit, please reach out to your instructor as soon as possible.

- Hide
How can I change an "IN" to a letter grade on my transcript?

“IN” represents an “Incomplete” for the course.

An “IN” grade is assigned if you have yet to complete all required work for a given course. Once you have completed all required course work, either by completing the Final Exam or by turning in your Final Project, only then can the instructor assign you a final grade. Normally, this process takes place in the semester after you have taken the course.

To initiate the process and change an “IN” to a letter grade you must request a Completion of an Incomplete “IN” form with the University Grades Department. The Grades Department will then send a form to the instructor for a conversion to a course grade.

Grades Department: (213) 740-5586

Note: Should you fail to complete the required course work within the specified time, your course grade will automatically be changed to “IX” which is equivalent to an “F”.   

- Hide