The Career Advantage Program (CAP) is offered through the Marshall Undergraduate Career Services Office and provides Marshall undergraduate sophomore, junior and senior-level majors the opportunity to be paired with Marshall alumni and friends of the university. The CAP mentor will assist their mentees in developing the professional, interpersonal and networking skills critical to their career success for the entire 2022-2023 academic year. Mentors and their groups of students connect and grow through professional development and social activities, and are expected to dedicate a minimum of five (5) hours per month to CAP. More than 350 students and 125 mentors across all business disciplines participate in CAP every year.
CAP is a competitive program and eligible students are NOT guaranteed a mentor. Below is the CAP 2022-2023 student application timeline:
- Monday, March 21, 2022: Detailed email with application instructions sent to all current eligible Marshall undergraduates.
- Returning CAP students: If you were in CAP during the 2021-2022 academic year, you will need to reapply. No preferential admission treatment will be given to students who have already participated.
- Friday, April 29, 2022: Deadline for students to submit their application. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Friday, June 13, 2022: Students notified of their eligibility to participate in the CAP 2022-2023 mentor-mentee matching process.
We are seeking mentors with at least three (3) years of professional work experience in the areas of accounting, advertising, consulting, data analytics, entertainment / media, entrepreneurship, finance, general management, hospitality, law, marketing, tech, real estate, and sports management. We require that mentors be located in Southern California and that they travel less than 25% in order to participate in this program (*consultants excluded). Mentors should be able to mentor at least 2 mentees and commit to a minimum of five (5) hours per month for an entire academic year. USC alumni and friends of the University are welcome!
- Prospective CAP Mentors:
- Monday, April 25, 2022: The USC Marshall Undergraduate Career Services Office will be emailing all prospective 2022-2023 CAP mentors our program details and application instructions on Monday, April 25th. If you do not receive this email and are interested in becoming a CAP mentor, email CAPmentoring@marshall.usc.edu. *Note that new mentor spots are limited.
- Current 2021-2022 CAP Mentors:
- Monday, April 11, 2022: current 2021-2022 CAP mentors will be asked to fill out an end-of-year survey and indicate if interested in returning to CAP for the upcoming 2022-2023 academic year.
- Friday, April 22, 2022: Deadline to complete the end-of-year survey and indicate if returning to CAP for the upcoming 2022-2023 academic year.